A guide to banking in Japan

  1. Opening a bank account
  2. What do I do if I lose my ATM/cash card?

I. Opening a bank account

You can open your bank account when you join your company (CC2). In that case, all you need to do is to fill out an application form for opening a bank account which we will provide. CC2’s main bank is Nishi-Nippon City Bank.


Required documents

  1. Residence Card
  2. Passport
  3. Registered Stamp/Personal Seal
  4. Cash (any amount accepted)

※If you want to request a credit card or debit card, please let us know beforehand.

However, if you have been staying in Japan only for a short period of time, there will be a possibility that your credit card application will not pass the screening. The screening criteria depends on the judgment of the credit card company, so please bear in mind that your application might be rejected.


II. What do I do if I lose my ATM/cash card?

If you lose your cash card, you must report it immediately to the bank (Nishi-Nippon City Bank ), so the bank will stop your account to prevent fraudulent access. You may report it via phone call for a quick response (temporary), however, you still need to report it and do post-procedure at the bank.

In case of robbery, you need to report separately to police.

To re-open your bank account, bring the following items:

  1. Stamp (inkan) that you used when you opened your account for the first time.
  2. Your ID (with picture on it such as resident card, passport)
  3. Bank book
  4. A proof that shows your employment (such as health insurance card or business card)

At the bank, you will be instructed to do some simple paperwork wherein you will have to write down (in Japanese) your name, home address, date of birth, and so on.

Return to Japan Life Hacks main page.

Share on Facebook